A Digital Hat

So I am making a hat as a learning exercise, and it's going about as well as you would expect from someone who knows next to nothing about modelling. Part of the problem is that the tutorials expect that you have a sort of basic understanding of the terms involved, and already knowing things like "holding the shift key to group selections". I found out today that I needed to set Wings to "2 button mouse" which has helped my control of the camera, and that I can use the arrow keys to move the camera, and with the camera flyaround mode, you can stop the camera by flicking the cursor off the active pane. Who knew? I didn't.  Anyway, my hat has a Mystery Spot on the brim. I thought maybe the normals were inverted, which is why two of those faces are gray and not dark gray. No, the normals are like all the other ones, pointing out. I regrouped all the faces on top of the hat..nothing changed. It's a mystery.

 Anyway, I am really motivated to make a working hat because I WANT THIS HAT SO BAD: (stolen from Pinterest)

The oval frame would just be a flattened torus and I actually have that public domain engraving here to apply to the hat. I would still need to model the shells. My headache right now is figuring out how to get Hexagon to UV map it..You Tube has been helpful but I am still missing some key step--and I am still trying to do things in the right order to actually create the maps. I could go find an already-created hat and texture it, but I want to make my own so I can make other things, like jewelry and clothes. Maybe even shoes. :D


Comments

  1. finally catching up - so many fun things!! did you make the kraken bounce like that? can't wait to see the finished hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it was animated until I loaded it up! Hehe! I just want to be able to get the hat to be mapped properly, even if the mesh is ugly. So much to learn :o

      Delete
    2. I don't think the mesh is ugly - it looks like a top hat! and it'll be super awesome textured. :)

      Delete
  2. I really like the idea of using a paper cup as a base for a doll hat! It's ready-made to support the fabric, and stiff enough too. I've used buckram and I have never liked the way the tops came out. I think Spoonflower has the fabric with the Kraken on it too. Once I get the virtual hat finished I will reward myself with a dollie version :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't too clear in the post--and you can never have too many tunes! (I still buy cds, just got Jain's Zanaka today). :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment