The Star Tarot by Cathy McClelland




I totally bought this deck from Ebay for the art, but it's just a nice deck all around. It is a normal Waite/Coleman-Smith deck, but McClelland puts in some of the symbols from the Golden Dawn decks as well. It feels like a very North American deck, with bears and sunflowers and here and there some Native American motifs. And it's just SO PRETTY.

It's published by Red Feather, a subsidiary of Schiffer Press, and it has OK quality card stock, pretty much the same weight that you find in "oracle decks," but nothing you want to shuffle normally. Or get wet. Like an oracle deck, the cards are wide.


I like having the cards a bit larger,as there is a lot going on. I almost wish they were even larger to see some of the detail in the paintings.
I found this deck when I was watching one of my favorite YouTube tarot explainers, Katie Flowers, take scissors to the deck to make the cards smaller. It sounds bonkers, but she has a few tips and tools to make the end results look neat and clean and it does make the cards easier to manage if you have small hands. (I still think it's bonkers, but Flowers is always a good watch).
Soooo pretty:

The deck comes with a large explanatory book that is more than just a few descriptive sentences for each card--a lot of thought went into the book as well as the deck. Here is the book:

I forgot to take a shot of the card backs, but you can see them in this review here--I find the backs reversible, but I haven't spent a lot of time looking at the back--there may be a subtle "up" to them. Here is the review with some photos:


(That is a good site to check out any tarot deck, there is even sometimes two or three reviews of the popular decks, all collated together.)

 And finally here is a YouTube flip through by Boho Tarot, not ridiculously long.
(I actually put on The Truth in Story when I want a deck review and Kelly can wander through a deck in about an hour an a half, including visiting with her dog and little vignettes of her day. It's like visiting a favorite aunt for the afternoon--but I do other things while I listen).

Here is the flip through:


I probably won't use this one as a reading deck, but I love, love the art.

Comments