Former Mariachi Hat (updated 11/13/12)


The hat looks much better now, though sewing on the little silver beads was probably a little more than it needed. The cockade is just the blue ribbon on the table in the previous postings, with a Tori Spelling pendant attached to it. There is still a loop under the pendant in case I happen to spot a little metal sailing ship somewhere, but it looks fine for now. I also have decided to cut the coat cuffs as the pattern shows them, and put the trim on it as shown in Sir Francis Holborne's portrait below. (I can't decide if it is cute or creepy his son is dressed up like a tiny midshipman.)

By the way, I think there are ten loops around the buttons on each lapel, three buttons and loops on each cuff, and two or three rows of braid at the top of the cuff; this is as of Nov 13, 2012 after a lot more reading: "Nelson's Navy" by Philip Haythornthwaite, Osprey Publishing. Uniform standards came in after around 1790, so it's good I went for the earlier style.

Comments

  1. Thank you so much! It really did look even more like a Mariachi hat until I folded it in three and pinned it. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment