Nap


This is where I realized that I had cut out the pocket upside down. Corduroy and velvet and suede all have "nap," the fuzziness that, if you are cutting out a lot of pieces, means that you have to be sure all of the pieces have the "top" pointing the same direction on the bolt of fabric. In this case it's pretty easy to see the color change on the pocket from the fabric underneath. I also cut the right front panel upside down, but for the moment I am ignoring that because I don't feel like cutting a new side panel, at least not yet. I did fix the pocket, and put on the second one as well:

I may recut the lapels though, it looks like they ended up too wide. If I was putting trim on again I would shorten the buttonhole borders as well. The red line shows where I think the new edge should be:

I would have J try it on more often to fix these issues, but he is strangely unwilling to put it on--he claims there are pins in there. (Well, duh). I am still working on the collar--it turns out the extensions aren't needed on it, so I picked out one side last night. I'm thinking of adding two more buttons to the corners of the pocket flaps--it's something I thought was odd in the source pictures, but it turns out those corners want to curl up, so there is a practical reason for the buttons.

Yesterday I saw a much larger sewing project--they are sandblasting a local water tower. The tower wonders , "Does this make me look fat?"

Comments