Progress


Ok, it looks pretty rough right now, but at least the Admiral costume is not just lots of little pieces on table tops. It's this part and 8 pieces of the cuffs, 2 pockets, one godet, 2 sleeves and a lot of braid and bias tape on table tops. And considering I had to do both the collar and lapels from scratch, it's coming along. I finally got tired of the Brother's shenanigans and went downstairs and unearthed the Dressmaker, a solid metal hunk of a Japanese vintage sewing machine that I am not entirely friends with, but it sews through 4 layers of corduroy with no effort. It also wants to sew much faster than I want to, and it has a pedal the size of a postage stamp.

It's still a very good machine and it deserves a cleaning and a new belt, if I can find anyone under the age of 60 who knows what it is. I still miss my Singer 457 Zig Zag that I dropped down the basement stairs. :(

Comments

  1. Oh wow, this is definitly too wonderful to wear it just on Halloween. I recommend the purchase of some handcuffs to make sure that hubby is not snatched away by any Lady Hamilton or so who is suddenly bored by her Lord Nelson!!

    About the sewing machine: Don't be shy, write to singer or maybe to a german naehmaschinen forum. Sewing machines have a long life and it is not unsusual that people search for informations or parts of very old machines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll just tie him to the mast. :D Although I am tempted to make myself (next year) a Lady Hamilton gown to match! And I have found some good online information already for the Dressmaker--it seems many of the Singer parts will fit, so I can at least get a new lightbulb and a belt for the motor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This should not be tooo hard as Lady Hamilton created a new fashion with her Empire gowns (in fact she wanted to hide her pregnancy under the gown). Empire gowns are sooo flattering and most of all comfortable so that it is nice to spend the whole evening in them. Far better than a mermaid tail or such!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment