HMS KitKat


Since the house is full of Patrick O'Brian novels, bits of British Navy reference, and Horatio Hornblower dvd's, dinnertime chat has become surreal to anyone who doesn't live here (you have to remember J and I have been married for over 30 years, so to us, this is normal). J was looking around the kitchen and noted that "The stores were down to crackers and salt pork," and that he needed to have a word with the quartermaster. Also that "rats had gotten into the Halloween Candy."

I said that the stores of Pellegrino had also dropped dramatically because the crew had been drinking heavily, and while I was dismayed, there was a "Captain's Stash" of Pellegrino set aside for the exclusive use of the Captain, at which point J pulled open the bottom drawer by the sink and said "Some secret!"

I admitted it "was a small ship, so it's hard to hide stuff", but that I would post a Marine in front of the drawer so that there would be Pellegrino at least until we made port. J said the Marine would be better employed in front of the Halloween Candy drawer, because "We need that candy to trade with the natives."

I said that I was going to give the natives the crap candy, like the Twix and the Jolly Ranchers, and eat the Snickers and the Reeses myself. J countered that the natives were more sophisticated now since we "weren't the first boat on the beach", and the ship before us was "giving away entire Butterfinger Bars."

So I think we may have to put into Target tonight and restock.

Comments