Windows 10

I got a 2 hour update this week and then had to reset all my privacy settings. I really like Windows 7, it never gave me any problems. But there is a silver lining--Windows 10 lets me run an old, moldy, wonderful 3d landscape program called Bryce that I found that I missed a lot. It was the first 3d "art" program I ever used, and I never would have mastered it without the help of the people on the alt.binaries.3d Bryce newsgroup. That's how long ago it was when I was using it :D You can model in it using the same lattices that you use to make terrains--and it's amazing what you can make out of "dirt". A lot of people make fantastic spaceships in it! It used to be we would piss and moan about a render taking 30-40 minutes--I ran an old file on the new computer and it took TWO MINUTES and TWENTY EIGHT SECONDS, including antialiasing. Whoo!!

 Now if I could just get rid of the ads on the Start page...

Comments

  1. 2 hrs?! no wonder my mom offered again to trade for my win8. lol. that's awesome about Bryce on win10! and the render speed! I've been doggedly running art stuff on XP off line... another pro for switching OS / progress - check. :)

    Happy holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Holidays to you too! It was a long update because it replaced the entire OS (it prompts you to delete the old version of 10 to get back room on your hard drive :D) I noticed that it now can find my DVD-ROM drive that it couldn't before, which was nice. The great render speed is maybe because I have a nVidia 960 or 970 in there (I am embarrassed to say I would have to look). It's not the 10 series because DS won't run on 10 or the Titan for some reason. I render to the GPU instead of the CPU and that seems to be a *lot* faster. I still like XP even if it isn't supported--it never gave me any problems ever.

      Delete
  2. Picture looks like "Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a bit of "Airplane" thrown in. :D I discovered that if you left click on the tiles in the start menu, you can "unpin" them from the start menu, and that got rid of the games and ads. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment