Backyard Rocks

I've been looking at rocks on Ebay, and then remembered there was an interesting rock that had lived for the first two years that I was here..in the fishpond. I had always assumed it was just a lava rock, and it is--a lava rock STUFFED WITH CRYSTALS. I found this out by putting on a pair of polycarbonate goggles and smacking it with a hammer and a mortar chisel; and had I been better at rock cutting I could have made less of a hash of the stone. But now I have several very large and fine geode specimens and one of the pieces goes to Akutenshi, though I might have to let her choose which one.

This gives you an idea of the size.

This is a small piece but one of the best ones:

There is a sister rock to this one, but I am not sure there is anything as interesting in that one, it's got far more holes in it. I do have a lot of nice quartz pebbles though, and I am tempted to look for a rock tumbler. We had one when I was a kid and it was fun to see the stones go from little rocks to polished smooth stones.


Comments