Tarot De La Nuit

This is a very beautiful deck--my own photos of it are washed out a little because the cards are quite glossy and hard to re-photograph. It looks like it should be a Waite/Smith deck, but the interpretations are a little different, so you will need the book and to use the deck for a while to really be quick with knowing "what a card means" when it turns up. The booklet has one illustration but several languages, as it's a Lo Scarabeo production.

The box is quite nice, the cards and booklet fit well, and the lid slides off nicely without dropping off when you don't want it to. The cards are an easy size to hold and shuffle but big enough to see the art. All the cards are labelled clearly. While sort of gothy, there is no gore or nudity to alarm timid clients.

As you can see, the backs are reversible. Here are some more of the card images:



 It's a perfectly good deck, but I just couldn't really get excited about it--to me the images, while gorgeous, look like fashion photography, and some of the cards were a little jarring compared to their Waite/Coleman originals, like The Hermit:

I mean, there is nothing wrong with that, it's just that I miss the "age and wisdom" part of the card. It may be the perfect deck for someone else, or a nice display deck. There is a page-through here on YouTube:


I like these "page through" videos because it's nice to see the whole deck instead of buying it on the basis of just a few cards. I actually love the commentary, too--I sometimes put the longer review videos on and let them chat, while I do mending or some other sort of boring hand work. I sometimes appreciate a deck more after hearing someone else describe why they like it, too.

I will admit that this deck went into the storage box and I may sell or give it away later.

Comments