"The Good Tarot"

First I have to say that I don't like the name. It's not intended as a diss to other decks, it's supposed to mean that you use this deck for the "highest good for all", but I can't help but think that Marketing should have tweaked it a bit before it went out. Maybe the "Pretty Good" tarot or even the "Lovely Tarot", because it is! My other bug with this deck is while the writer, Collette Baron-Reid, has her name in BIG FONT, you really have to hunt to find the artist who made these gorgeous images.
Oh, here it is on the box in tiny font:
It's Jena DellaGrottaglia, and her website is here.

The Good Tarot is a Waite/Coleman-Smith deck, but the suits have been changed to Earth (Pentacles), Fire (Wands), Air (Swords), and Water (Cups). This works perfectly well for reading, the tricky part is that some of the cards imagery has been switched up a bit. Here's Major Arcana Fourteen and Fifteen:

These are the original card images:

Now "Temptation" for the Devil is OK, though I am not sure a booze addiction (the imp with the grape tail) or a sex addiction (tails on fire, yo) really classifies as "temptation." The Devil also encompasses physical ailments and general, well, deviltry; rebellion and oddly "humor," since humor often comes from a place of discomfort, or is intended to belittle someone or something. "Temptation" severely clips those meanings.  "Patience" is not really a synonym for Temperance, the original angel is a hemaphrodite doing some alchemical mixing of opposites, but I can see a card advising patience can be useful. (The Knight of Pentacles can sometimes be that in a classic deck).

Anyway, here is a few more cards from the deck. So pretty! The cards are super shiny so they look washed out here; in reality the colors are vivid and intense.

I do like The Fool--she isn't stepping happily off a cliff, trusting the Universe, but she is blowing a horn for "charge!" which seems appropriate. The Seven of Air in the Little Color Cover Book has a written description a lot different from the "Betrayal/Theft/Spy" meaning of the classic Seven of Swords, but the image has someone pretending to be a bird while the other birds give her the side-eye; which I think is cool.


A little odd for the Ten of Cups, (a happy family life in modest circumstances) but still a happy card. The Queen of Pentacles is gorgeous here.

I like the Queen of Air because she looks a bit like my friend Andy :D

The deck itself is big, and the cards are stiff--they are definitely heavy coated cardboard rather than the thin plastic coated playing card-like decks. This is the size in hand (and I have size Large hands)

The backs have the light gradient burned into the design, so they are not reversible (!) so you might want to stick them in a hat or something if you want a random draw-- on the other hand I am not sure they are intended to be read in reverse; some readers don't do that because you will get a negative meaning from a card. Personally I like having the extra meanings.

Check out the inside of the box :D It's a good, sturdy box, big enough the cards don't hang up inside of it, with half-moon cuts on the sides so you don't struggle to slide the lid off. I got this deck from Barnes and Noble, and since it's widely available I am not sure I am going to keep it. If I do sell it, I will list the condition as "good".




 (The box is a bit sticky from the price tags on the outside).

Here is a page through if you want to see more of the cards:






Comments