Luis Royo Tarot Deck (NSFW)

If you are thinking of getting Royo's deck for a Halloween party, you might want to look through all the cards online first--it's definitely an R rated deck, and unless you go to much livelier parties than I do, you might just end up having it be "THAT Halloween party." If I know I am going to read cards for other people, I usually use the classic Rider-Waite or the Robin Wood deck I have, which is both pretty and easy to read; very non-threatening. Though probably the Ultimate Reassuring Deck has to be this one:

The Royo deck is basically an art deck--it has images for all 78 cards, which I approve of, and some somewhat quirky associations of art and card (which makes sense since the art came first and then needed to be applied to the deck).

(These were some of the tamer cards) Here is one of my favorite paintings of his, placed as the 6 of Pentacles:

 
It's actually a beautiful interpretation of charity/generosity. 
  There is a booklet that comes with the deck, in four languages. Spanish is the primary language, the English translation is good but a little odd in places, which makes the interpretations even more fun. It sounds like Royo did the writing himself, or at least with a friend translating--his interviews sound a lot like the "voice" of the deck booklet. If you aren't familiar with his art, he's famous for what I would call the "Beauty and the Beast" trope--and sometimes Beauty IS the beast. I've worked with his US agent for an award ceremony and they were the most accommodating and gracious people imaginable, so I am happy to have his deck. The printing quality is superb, and the cards themselves are printed on good strong, flexible stock that bends just the right amount, so I could see using the deck as intended... if you didn't live at home with your very religious family. :o
Luis Royo Wikipedia

Here is the Wheel of Fortune. Vanna White looks great :D


Comments