Time Capsule/Domuya Fin

I bought a Domuya Fin from the Den of Angels Marketplace for Very Cheap--and I was excited that the original owner hadn't done *anything* with it beyond opening the box! The Wiki on Den of Angels has a really terse entry for Domuya:
Domuya was first established in Singapore in 2003 as a retailer of toys and collectibles. In 2005, they started manufacturing BJDs and shifted their head office to Hong Kong. Currently, Domuya is still located in Hong Kong, but do maintain close links with Singaporean fans, such as participating in events as well as sponsoring them like The Doll Affair.
Domuya is best known for its flexi-body and Flexi Perennial systems, and the bodies are well known for very natural posing. The company apparently closed in 2011.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My actual first arrival doll was a Domuya Zen, and in hindsight he was a really nice doll and I wish I had kept him--he looked dated after a while, with his angular features and big, big eyes and peculiar leg cuts. He also had tiny string and very heavy resin, so it was hard to keep him from having "twirly legs". Wiring would have fixed that but I knew absolutely nothing about bjd's at the time except that I liked them :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At Domuya, Fin was a successor to Zen, and she arrived from the caster to the store website with great fanfare--She was going to be super flexible and posable! She had such a nice face--I wanted one-- but I think she was over 400 dollars from the company (!) and I had gotten Zen as an overstock summer item at less than half that, so I never bought her.
 Here is the box--it's too short, but Domuya was trying to save money on shipping since they thought they were getting out of bjds. The married owners of Domuya were quarrelling, and "Fin" was going to be The Last Doll before they went off to do something else, probably separately. 
Sleeping bag holder:
And this was all that was holding her in there. No outer box:
And yet it worked for a couple hundred dolls (Fin was popular!) Mysterious packages in box:
The larger package is spare shins--they may be replacement shins, as Fin has a casting color problem on her right leg (a faint stripe) or they may be custom legs for these:

I had never seen those in person before! They are cool! But back into the box they went, because Fin has this cool but fragile foot innovation:
Flexi-toes :D She also has half the leg cuts that my Zen had--this is so she can crouch without having the stiff thighs interfere with the pose, but Zen had sort of caps to conceal the cuts when not in use (it was very weird, I think you had to putty them in or something).
She does have something that I think Soom got rid of--the headcap is held on with a rubber band through the ring that acts an an S hook. You can get the rubber band on with a crochet hook or chopsticks, but it's an exercise in frustration and swearing:

(That is a new rubber band) The old rubber band was just a smear after 12 years of living in a box. The eye putty chewed into the plastic Glib default eyes as well, so I found some new eyes for her:

So I washed her off, sprayed her completely with Mister Super Clear UV cut, hoping to keep her color from going totally yellow (Domuya resin gets Very Yellow when exposed to light), made her a paper cap to go under her wig, and took a quick photo.
I'll paint her up once I take a look at what her default makeup used to be, and when it's not trying to rain.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Domuya went on after Fin to make many more dolls and did not finally close until 2011, when Soom and Luts were at the top of their game. Fin was always my favorite, though--I just liked her realistic, pretty face!

Comments