Gideon's Hat, still In Progress


This is a start on Gideon's wig-hat, since I am waiting for the magnets in order to finish the wing harness. The next photo is how I started, using Cat's instructions, to make a glue and paper "hard" wig base. It turns out to be easier to make than a cloth base, so I think I will make more of these wig caps. Basically you just put plastic wrap over your doll's head, then get something thin like a paper napkin (or in my case, Kleenex); tear the Kleenex into little pieces, and then apply polymer medium or modge podge to the pieces and cover where the wig cap will be. You can also use white glue like Elmers. Let it dry overnight.

Here is Gideon with his unattractive little paper and glue cap:

Then I put some yarn on the front of that cap, and I stitched the pieces down instead of glueing them, though glueing them with hot glue would probably be faster and easier. I then took a piece of the styro packing stuff Soom sent the Nephelin wings in and clipped out a shape for the front of the hat-thing,here:

Then I painted the styro with silver acrylic paint, then took white embroidery thread and wrapped some of the points, and then I stitched on some lace, and then I added some sparkle paint on top of that, and two small feathers. I should have glued some fabric on the back before I attached the front piece to the cap, but I wanted to see how it would balance once it was put together. I will be adding more yarn to the back and where the cap gaps at Gideon's temples, and some dangly crystals on each side.

This hat thing also sort of a practice piece for when my Soom Dia comes. Laeticia at Soom sent me an email and said they were estimating shipping her around the end of November, which would make me very happy. Right now they are "casting the horns" from the Dream Ripper release since I ordered the Dia and the horns together. Next time I will do separate orders just to make it easier on everyone. ;D

Comments