Filling the "Can"


The flowers are finally starting to open up. We spent some time gardening, but mostly we spent the weekend filling up the rollaway.

In New Jersey it would be "Da can", and I use to rent them from a pig farmer down the road, who went into the hauling business after expensive homes were built around his pig farm... and then people started to complain about the smell. Truly, it was an impressive smell, but you think people would have noticed before buying their McMansion that there were several thousand pink pigs down the road from them. Normally the pig farmer trucked out his "waste" in tanker trucks to an undisclosed location (possibly the pine barrens) but on one occasion he had a spill in the road immediately outside the farm, and I had the bad luck to come around the corner in my F-150 and go sliding through it. That stuff is slippery. As soon as I got home I had to put rubber gloves on and hose off and bleach the underside of the truck; but for a year after that you would climb into the cab and think.."hmm. Pigs."

Anyway, here is the bulk of what is in the can now:

Wet, nasty insulation. J pulled it out and I went out to ask him how it was going.

He said "Ants." There were a lot of ants nesting inside the wall, trying to keep dry. After that we still had room in "da can" so we started to pull up the dog-stained rug in the studio.

Getting the carpet up is fast (we use box cutters and a draw knife) and the padding underneath comes up easily (not counting thousands of staples) but the nail edging is slow work--you need a hammer and a small crowbar and it's really easy to puncture yourself, even with gloves.

I hate those edging strips. I don't like wall-to-wall carpet anyway, it gets disgusting; but the edging strips used to stab me when I was a kid and ran around the house barefoot. In revenge, I have pulled out the carpet in every place I have lived since. :D.

Comments