Fish Heads and Cake


J's co-workers have come to expect "Baked Goods Monday" and he did not disappoint them--he made an "Almond Joy" cake which has 2 layers of vanilla cake laced with coconut, a center layer with a meringue, and then chocolate frosting with almonds on top. It was delicious-- but also so filling that one slice satisfied me for a couple of days.

While we were sitting, eating dinner, I looked out--and there were ducks checking out the pond! Exactly like a couple going househunting--Mrs. Duck peering critically into the pond, Mr. Duck looking around for problems. This "bad surveillance photo" was the moment when he spotted the gray cat staring intently at him from the sun porch.

They left, and so far they haven't come back, or I will have to cover the pond again. Because there is at least one fish in it! I went out this morning to add chlorine extractor to the bucket of water I planned to add to the pond later today (the bucket was frozen over, though), and I looked into the pond and a grumpy little orange head looked back at me.(I realize this is like a "Nessie" photo, but trust me, it's a fish head.

I was very happy, though this means we will have to rethink our pond renovation plans. (It needs a mesh liner under the pond plastic).

Comments