Aurelia's Wig


Dolls wigs are expensive, and often I can't find the color or style I want. But I was at Party City on Wednesday, eyeing one of Rubie's Wigs, and it was 10.00. So I brought it home and started to cut it apart.

The fibers were a little stiffer and coarser than normal doll wig hair, and a little scratchy; it felt more like human hair, thought the fiber size was about the same as the wig hairs I am used to. There was plenty of it, too. Having it pre-wefted was really nice--I just had to prune off the net that was there for human comfort. (Dolls don't sweat).

This stuff is fun to braid and style.

A test fit on Aurelia..not really enough fiber on top, and it needed to fit closer in the back and around her modded ears.

After about an hour, I had managed to get it to fit right around her ears, but it was a mess--partly because I wasn't sure what style I wanted exactly, and I hadn't worked with the wefts before.

I get to this point in all my projects..and it's the point where you just have to believe. It's even better if you tell yourself: "It's going to be EPIC."

Because there is going to be a lot of frustration ahead. Here I had done some braids and didn't like them, so I hung it up to think--I wanted something...bigger.

So I had lunch, and thought about Alice in Wonderland, and figured out how the wig needed to look.

That's it! Now she needs a dress that belongs to her, since that is a Delf dress and Aurelia has..a lot of wood in front of the hut, as my friend Meike says. In this dress she is one sneeze away from a wardrobe malfunction. It's a heavy wig--there is more hair on it than there needed to be, since I put the wefts too close together, but now I know. Here is what it looks like in a pony tail:

"Can I take it off now? It's sort of itchy."

Now when I go to Party City, no wig will be safe from me. :D

Comments