Milana Shupa-Dubrova

Pinterest has a way of showing you fantastic art, without giving you much idea of who or what the artist is! This lovely doll is by Milana Shupa-Dubrova. She has a personal Facebook page, and you can drool over her dolls here on Pinterest if you are Pinterest member. All I know about her is that she lives in the Ukraine and is very, very good at creating beautiful little ..Resin? Porcelain? fairy-like girls with exquisite clothes. I'm not even sure how tall they are. :o
Here are a few more:

I hope eventually I will find an article about her, or perhaps a write up of a gallery show she has been in.
Edit--ATYL is a genius and FOUND AN ARTICLE about Shupa-Dubrova!!

Dolls of Milan Shupa-Dubrovy - a real work of art

Milan Shupa-Dubrova creates unique author's dolls. Her works exist in a single copy, they are unique. Even she herself, as the author, can not make an exact copy. For six years, Milan has produced over six dozens of amazingly beautiful dolls. Her works are in great demand among collectors and lovers of an art doll. They are in private collections in many countries of the world. Recently, Milan returned from the 13th International Puppet Show "Modna Lyalka", which was held in Kiev, where she showed her new works. At this professional forum the doll of Milan became the face of the exhibition - it was on posters, advertising. This is the author's confession. We met with Milan to talk about dolls - as a unique phenomenon of modern art.
- Milan, tell me, where did this hobby for dolls come from?
- It seems to me that fate always leads a person, directs him to the right track, the main thing is to trust yourself and hear these tips. Despite the fact that I am an economist by education, and my husband and I have been engaged in network marketing for a long time, I have always been attracted to creativity. I loved doing something with my own hands: sewed, knitted macrame, embroidered paintings with silk ribbons, painted. When my friend Marina Zimina began to make dolls, I, admiring her works, also wanted to make for themselves the same beauty. And I went to the master class. That's why it all began. The process of creating a doll was so exciting that it's impossible to stop. Since then, six years have passed, I visited a number of master classes from different masters, learned a lot. Now they are asking me to share their skills of making interior dolls.
- Where do you conduct master classes?
- Two groups have gathered in Kiev, I will soon go there. I recently held a master class in Kharkov. I do not like to leave home, it distracts from the process of creating dolls, which today is more interesting for me than conducting training sessions. Nevertheless, I am pleased that people go to my classes, they want to adopt my style, because the dolls are recognizable by the handwriting of the author.
- And how is the doll born?
"It's a little mystical process." When the doll is ready, I look at it and understand that I can not do one more such. The image of a new doll is born sometimes from viewing an interesting film, a beautiful song. Sometimes the idea comes when I see a piece of beautiful fabric or lace. I am inspired by nature, flowers ... When the image is ripe, molding begins, painting, making a costume ...
- How long does it take to create one doll?
- On average about three weeks. There are dolls that are born in one breath. There are very whimsical, they take away sometimes a month and a half and more, you have to redo a lot. I treat puppets as living creatures. When the doll does not work, I say, they say, why do you get hurt, tell me what you want ... Finishing one job, I'm thinking about a new way, I'm starting to select fabrics. Parallel to do several works, like others, I can not. The process of creating a doll captures me completely and holds until the final stroke is completed. Only then can I switch and start a new one.
- What fabrics do you sew? Hair, cilia - natural?
- All the clothes I sew myself from natural fabrics, I use silk, nets, antique laces, the benefit today is a lot of interesting material you can buy during the puppet shows. Hair I use special doll, and also from a natural material of a goat, a llama, a sheep ... Cilia are natural squirrels. I paint the doll with dry decorative cosmetics and oil.
- Creating a doll requires a lot of knowledge and skills.
- For me, creating a doll is an art. That it harmoniously, beautifully and correctly looked, it is necessary to know anatomy, sculptural modeling, to understand hairdressing business, be able to sew clothes, make shoes, know the basics of make-up and much more. Moreover, one should burn with the desire to create dolls and enjoy tremendous perseverance.
- Where did your dolls live?
- They are in Ukraine, England, Israel, Austria, Russia, Belarus. Basically, the work is bought by collectors, among them there are those who follow my work and ask to show everything I do.
- What is the most difficult thing in creating dolls?
- Any doll is like a canvas of an artist, it's a whole story, a whole life. The creation of the image is connected with the author's state of mind. This is a complex process. Each doll is done by hand, so it turns out with its character, look. I still have a hard time modeling the face and hands. I'm still learning a lot, I'm doing a lot of things. Finished plastic parts are baked in the oven at a certain temperature. If something went wrong, I want to start again. I do not presume to make dolls under the order. Duplicate - it's not interesting, I think it's better to create a new one. Each doll makes a passport, in which I indicate, from what material it is made, the year of creation. My dolls have no names - all the names are more related to the images, for example - MidnightNoon, Vanilla, Malva, Butterfly ... Many floral images.
- Every doll has a mood. What feelings and emotions do you try to convey through your work?
- Of course, the author can only convey what feels himself. Recent events in Ukraine have inevitably affected my work. Three years ago the Malva doll appeared under the impression of the song Ani Lorak with the same name. When I brought her to the exhibition in Belarus, everyone asked why she was so sad, why there is so much sadness in her eyes. In general, I want my dolls to bring people joy, aesthetic pleasure, beauty, because these are interior works.
- What other exhibitions did you take part in? Why are not your works exhibited in Energodar?
- In Ukraine, twice a year, the doll house "Modna Lyalka" is held. Formerly, masters and collectors from all over the world gathered there, and today the salon operates within the framework of the all-Ukrainian exhibition. Nevertheless, this is a prestigious exhibition area, where I go every time. Twice participated in exhibitions in Belarus. My dolls were exhibited in Azerbaijan. This year I'm going to Prague. In addition, I was invited to participate in the contest, which will be held in Germany. This is an elite competition, which can only be accessed by invitation.
In Energodar, the exhibition of dolls was demonstrated during the "Good Theater", among the works of artists of our region were mine. A personal exhibition is a troublesome business, it takes a lot of time, besides, special pendant stands are needed, so I do not plan to show here.
- What are you dreaming about?
- I want to go to porcelain dolls. Now basically doing plastic static and with loop connections, trying to create pivot dolls. Porcelain products are very laborious, they require grinding. This requires a special workshop. In my apartment, I already took a large one to the room and made it boxes. After all for six years so many different materials, fabrics, laces have accumulated.
- Husband, children support your hobby?
- Yes, they are my first connoisseurs and critics. At first, my father and mother were very worried that an adult daughter was engaged in an incomprehensible puppetry. But my mother quickly thawed, and my father always looked in silence at my products. And I wanted so much that he somehow expressed his attitude. And at some point, the father looked at my new work and said: yes, these people are already better. It was the most important compliment. Now he openly admires my dolls.
"Are you a happy woman?"
- Yes, I have a good family, successful adult children. I found a niche in which I can realize myself. I want to talk about my work as a work of art, because creating a doll is a complex creative process. I understand that I took a very high bar. I know: in order to keep it, it is necessary to work and develop a lot in the chosen business, where there is no limit to perfection.
Material Author: Irena Zlatopolska
~~~~~~~
I was hoping to take some photos today of some hats that Girrl sent me, but it has been dark and stormy all day (we are under a flood watch) so I am hoping for more sun, or at least less monsooning, tomorrow!

Comments