Discount Furnace Filters


You may wonder why there is a picture of Alice with "furnace filters". It's because the size, location and placement of my furnace filter is exactly where that little door is, and to open it you need a very small adjustable wrench, about the size of Alice's key. Once you get the compartment open, it's not hard to slide the filter out, assuming there isn't a chipmunk mummy stuck in it. And twice a year it needs to be replaced so that we aren't blowing dust, dirt and chipmunk molecules throughout the house. Of course this filter is not the size of any filter I can buy at Home Depot. It is a "box filter" 16 by 25 by 3 inches, stuffed with some kind of high-tech fiber spun from cyborg spiders somewhere in China, because each filter costs around 30.00 USD. So I buy them online, from the helpful folks at Discount Furnace Filters. com, the last refuge of the desperate looking for the odd-sized filter. It is an easy place to shop, especially if you know the part number. I know the part number because some previous harassed owner of the house wrote the size and part number on a card and taped it to the furnace; no doubt tired of climbing down on their hands and knees, changing to a different pair of glasses, finding the tiny wrench and opening the compartment to read the numbers on the filter already installed. So I pick out my filters, go to the checkout and then realize that I have NO CLUE what my password is. Or if I had a password. I just want to pay with PayPal and leave, but no, I have to fill out forms, and as soon as I do the PayPal button vanishes, so I have to get up and find my credit card, change my glasses, enter with great unhappiness my personal details, and then my filters are on their way. I spend another 10 minutes filling out a third party survey, looking for a box where I can ask about the missing PayPal button. The survey crashes because I put in a % sign when they asked me how much I got off from using a coupon. I finally get the survey successfully completed, ignore the "get a magazine free for one year and then we will autobill you forever" "prize" at the end, and finally escape to find that they would like me to review my purchase. I decline to write an ode to a furnace filter, because I would write: "It's overpriced but I am hoping by paying too much that it means it will not catch on fire. The last two I bought fit in the space and seemed to work. I hate buying them because it means summer is over and soon I will be trying to decide where to put a humidifier and shocking the cats with static electricity every time they walk across my polyester blankets." Sometimes less is more in advertising.

Comments

  1. The internets, making life simpler for all of us.

    Alice is a wonderful creation. Almost the Dr. Who of her day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice is the awesomest. No matter how weird it gets, Alice is ok with it; or if not, expresses her displeasure. A thoroughly modern maiden in a previous time. I think she would have made a great Companion, too. :D

      Delete
    2. Alice and Jane Austen are my fantasy companions now. ^_^
      Looking forward to the new season.

      Delete
  2. I do... but I am apalled at the same time! My relatives in VIrginia had a heat pump at one house they lived in and it was pretty wimpy..maybe it wasn't installed correctly, but eventually they moved and got gas heat instead. Plus it seemed like a drama llama of a heater, always something needed adjusting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment